Thursday 3 July 2014

Completed Introduction Essay



For my language investigation I am going to observe parents on how they communicate with their children. To make the investigation more simple I am going to be specific in town going to investigate the language I will be and it analysing how parents talk to their children (son and daughter) - gender. This will link in with the field of Academic linguistic research language and gender. There are a few key researchers in the field which I know about due to learning them in AS I can link in more depth and analyse the language the parents use and relate them to the theorists. The reason I want to explore this topic is that every day I see parents talking to their children differently whether it is at home or outdoors,  I would like to analyse further in depth on how the language changes when they speak to one child to another child, I would like to see whether it's due to the gender. As it's shown that the dad's would talk more high pitched and relaxed with daughters rather than talking serious and jokey with their sons, I would like to see whether it's stereotypical or true.
The style research which I will conduct will be empirical. The data and methods I will use for this investigation would be recording conversations between a parent and a child and then another recording on a parent talking to the other child.  I will have to type up a transcript of both conversations. The discourse analysis will be spoken however I  will be typing up a transcript of the conversation recording and analyse the transcript.
The aims of my research is to prove the stereotypes are wrong, and get a wider knowledge about the communication between the parent and child, also the aim of research to understand the basics of children and parent’s relationships and their roles in the family and how language could be affected from those issues. Culture could also be another research I could look into, as language that is being communicated has an affect due to social and cultural issues.
The research I will look into is how parents and how they talk to different genders, and look into the role which they expect them to have and what role they have.
The specific question I am trying to attempt to address is on how communication of a parent changes when talking to two different children who are different genders.

No comments:

Post a Comment